Friday, February 4, 2011
Jesus Camp
Well just from the title of this movie I could tell it was going to be about a border line cult, and it was. Of course, the movie depicts the most radical view of the evangelical churches. I have some problems with this movie. First of all the movie only deals with children which is a good sign they are trying to brainwash them. Children are the most easily influenced and they will believe anything if someone will present it to them in such a way that they can understand it. The entire religion seemed to be a little too melodramatic for me. I go to church where we all set down and be quiet to the point where you can hear a pin drop. I do not believe this is the only way to worship because, I think worship is a mindset not an action. So when the little girl says a church is dead and her only reason is that they are quiet when they worship I believe she is wrong. I also think that the entire organization is way to obsessed with the spiritual realm. Using a hammer that represents Jesus to smash a coffee cup is no more religious than using the "spiritual shotgun" to shoot down the "pagan pigeon." However the movie was not all bad. First, I'm sure it would make a great Saturday Night Live skit. Second, they are teaching evangelizing to the masses. This is a good thing in general; however, I don't think they are understanding the context of most of their verses. Third, they are anti-abortion. This is a very big subject with the church today and I believe this problem should be addressed. They sure did a good job telling the cardboard cut out of George Bush how he should do his job. They made a comment during the movie that said something to the effect of this generation will make a big impact. That is about as broad as it gets. Well duh this generation will make an impact just like the one before it ant the one before that. I'm gonna take a shot in the dark and say the generation after us will make a big impact. This group seems to be in the wrong place. They really make better motivational speakers than they do preachers. During one of their seminars they got the crow to chant much like Hitler's followers. So it really shows whose methods they're using. In conclusion I really hope this religion doesn't take off. They have some biblical views out of context, proportion, and control. These people probably just want a name for themselves and sounds like Ted Haggard did make a name for himself.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I literally laughed out loud at this blog post, especially the last line!
ReplyDelete