Wednesday, April 6, 2011

DWYL Chapter 8

Chapter eight in Don't Waste Your Life talks about honoring God with your life.  This is a concept I have been taught since I was a kid.  My parents were never fans of missionaries who begged for everything and never showed any progress and welfare was not part of my vocabulary.  The book talks about taking the vocation, or calling of the secular world and incorporating it into your christian life.  John Piper says not to immediately change jobs to a missionary just because your saved.  You can be just as good a christian where you are.  The book also talks about not separating your time at work and your time with God.  You are worshiping no matter what your doing; so, don't be slothful at work and claim to have a good spiritual life.  The book goes on to say that work is not a punishment.  This is a concept that is not easily grasped in this society.  What is pathetic is the time I see people complain the most about work is in my church.  Anytime something has to be done that involves manual labor the buck is passed.  Then I realized working hard is not often preached in the church.  Prosperity and wealth have plenty of room in the sermons, but I guess Christians are hoping to win the lottery or have money fall from the sky.  However we are not supposed to only labor for money or material gain.  We are supposed to work for the sake glorifying God.  If we aren't getting paid for something that doesn't mean we should just not care.  We should still do our best.  Finally we have to work to have money to give.  I've been told that money is a great tool and a terrible master.  I believe this is true.  Money can help accomplish things that otherwise couldn't be done.  And the only way to obtain money with a clean conscience is to work hard for it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment